We are walking the journey together. Find out how we can help you & your family work through this difficult time.
If you are a person living with a life threatening illness... we can help.
If you are a person caring for a loved one... we can help.
If you have lost a loved one to death... we can help.
If you want to volunteer some time and enrich your own life... we can help.
At Matthews House you will find...
Comfort... not pain
Carefully matched volunteers are chosen for their compassion and commitment to our clients.
Joy... not sadness
We console the grieving and help them heal.
Peace... not worry
Volunteers offer relief, respite and caregiver support.
Strength... not fear
Clients receive the support and friendship of staff, volunteers and other clients from diagnosis, through treatment and beyond.
Companionship... not loneliness
We passionately serve and support you when you need it most.
Services We Offer
Our 4-bed residential hospice offers quality, compassionate and comfortable care to clients at end of life. We offer...
- 24/7 care and symptom management
- A space that feels like home
- Support for families
- Professional nursing care
- Physician oversight
Visiting Hospice (In-Home Palliative Service)
We offer support for individuals and their families wherever home is at the time (hospital, long term care facility, or family home). We offer social and emotional support with assistance in daily living activities including:
- in-home visiting
- comfort measures for the client
- respite for caregivers
- case management
- family conferencing
- preparation of advanced care directive
- child bereavement
- bereavement companioning
We work with the whole family to develop skills on an individual basis or in a group format including:
- Circle of Friends (for people diagnosed with a life-threatening illness)
- Caregiver Support Group
- Individual Counselling/Support
- Case Management
- Chronic Disease Management Group
- Bereavement Group
- Child and Youth Bereavement
- Mens' Group
- Diabetes Management
We offer a focus on overall health and stress reduction. These services are open to clients, their caregivers, family members, and our volunteers. Programs include:
- Healing Arts - Reiki, Therapeutic Touch, Polarity Therapy
- Holistic Treatments
- Playing with Colours (Art Therapy)
- Garden Group
- Better Living Fitness
A focus on increasing the individual's and the community's awareness of life threatening issues, caregiver issues, grief and bereavement issues. Presentations can be modified for all age groups and various suppport purposes and are open to the general public, community groups, schools and other health care groups and professionals. Including:
- Speakers Bureau community engagements
- Monthly Learning Seminars (Example: Medications Management, Falls Prevention, Elder Abuse)
- Understanding: What is Palliative Care?
- Understanding: What is the Role of Hospice?
- Navigating the Health Care System
- End of Life Support
- Advanced Care Directives and Will Planning