Change a life. Change your own.
Our organization thrives because of volunteers like you.
Matthews House volunteers are the backbone of our organization, donating more than 1,400 hours of service per month. Our volunteers come from all walks of life.
The most prized personality traits of a hospice volunteer are flexibility, compassion, a sense of humour and the ability to listen. No medical background or experience is necessary.
Our volunteers are screened by staff, have references checked, undergo a Vulnerable Sector Check and 30 hours of Induction Training before they are placed in contact with clients and/or their families. They are key members of our community interdisciplinary health team and they provide us with support in a variety of roles.
Our volunteers provide client care which can include:
- companionship, listening, empathy
- simple comfort measures e.g. hand massage, position changes, transfers
- assistance with transportation, shopping, light household tasks
- bedside vigilance while caregivers recieve some relief
- allowing family / caregivers to take time away from home
- end-of-life care at the Residential Hospice
Volunteers Help around our Houses, which can include:
- meet and greet
- kitchen duties
- house maintenance
What do Matthews House volunteers do?
- In-Home Client Visiting (non-medical)
- Residential End of Life Care
- Facilitation of Support Groups
- Bereavement Support
- Caregiver Support / Relief
- Facilitation of Therapeutic Day Programs
- Wellness Program Therapists
- Kitchen, House and Maintenance Duties
- Office Administration
- Board and Committee Members
- Fundraising and Event Planning
- Assisting at Speaking Engagements and with Public Relations
- Planning and executing events
- Sitting on the Board of Directors or other Committees
Interested in becoming a Matthews House volunteer?
Please contact Lisa Shaler to learn more about how you can help.
Please send manual applications to email@example.com or call Lisa at (705) 435-7218.
BECOME AN AMBASSADOR
Matthews House Hospice partners and supporters range from local companies and foundations to individual philanthropists. If you share our passion for transforming end-of-life care in South Simcoe and are interested in helping us build support for our Centre of Excellence, contact us now. Ambassadors are needed to assist in our event fundraising department, which is critical in raising funds for the excellent programs and services our clients have come to love.
An Ambassador has a passion for:
- Having fun
- Engaging with people
- Assisting in the planning and execution of an event
- Attending events/fundraisers as a Matthews House fundraising team member
- Helping with post event stewardship – thank you cards, letters, calls and certificates
Listed below are the exciting events that are on the calendar for Matthews House Hospice this year:
Hockey for Hospice – January 12th
Heart to Heart Community Outreach Campaign – Month of February
Hike for Hospice – May 6
Butterfly Release – June 16th
TBA – June 20th
7th Annual Golf Tournament – September 12th
7th Annual Gala – September 28th
If you are interested in assisting with any or all of these events as a Matthews House Ambassador, please contact Brenda at (705) 434-8620 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you.