Change a life. Change your own.
Our organization thrives because of volunteers like you.
Matthews House volunteers are the backbone of our organization, donating more than 1,400 hours of service per month. Our volunteers come from all walks of life.
The most prized personality traits of a hospice volunteer are flexibility, compassion, a sense of humour and the ability to listen. No medical background or experience is necessary.
Our volunteers are screened by staff, have references checked, undergo a Vulnerable Sector Check and 30 hours of Induction Training before they are placed in contact with clients and/or their families. They are key members of our community interdisciplinary health team and they provide us with support in a variety of roles.
Our volunteers provide client care which can include:
- companionship, listening, empathy
- simple comfort measures e.g. hand massage, position changes, transfers
- assistance with transportation, shopping, light household tasks
- bedside vigilance while caregivers recieve some relief
- allowing family / caregivers to take time away from home
- end-of-life care at the Residential Hospice
Volunteers Help around our Houses, which can include:
- meet and greet
- kitchen duties
- house maintenance
What do Matthews House volunteers do?
- In-Home Client Visiting (non-medical)
- Residential End of Life Care
- Facilitation of Support Groups
- Bereavement Support
- Caregiver Support / Relief
- Facilitation of Therapeutic Day Programs
- Wellness Program Therapists
- Kitchen, House and Maintenance Duties
- Office Administration
- Board and Committee Members
- Fundraising and Event Planning
- Assisting at Speaking Engagements and with Public Relations
- Planning and executing events
- Sitting on the Board of Directors or other Committees
Interested in becoming a Matthews House volunteer?
Please contact Mary Lou Prudham to learn more about how you can help.
Please send manual applications to email@example.com or call Mary Lou at (705) 435-7218.